Understanding renewable gases, hydrogen and power-to-gas: empowering consumers to make informed choices
Date: Monday, June 29, 2020
Time: 10:00 – 11:30 Central European Summer Time (CEST)
The EU Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW) is taking place online this year, and as part of its extended programme, CEER, the Association of Issuing Bodies (AIB) and Florence School of Regulation (FSR) have joint forces to organise a webinar next week.
Decarbonising the EU’s energy system and ramping up our renewable energy use are critical to reach our climate objectives. The route to decarbonisation can take many forms, though biogas, biomethane and clean hydrogen are likely to feature in most of the pathways. The smart integration of renewables, energy efficiency and all possible sustainable solutions across sectors will help to achieve a cost-efficient decarbonisation and ensure/improve the reliability and flexibility of energy systems.
European consumers have a powerful role to play in driving this transformation forward and are becoming increasingly careful about what and how they consume, and in particular, showing a strong support for energy choices that are less carbon intensive. Consumer engagement can make a real difference in this process, but this requires more transparent information about carbon and environmental footprints of products and services available on the market. Fully understanding the costs and potential of the different (emerging) technologies will be essential to make informed choices about more sustainable alternatives and ultimately make for a succesful clean energy transition.
Overall, the session will discuss sector coupling and sector integration technologies, including the production of hydrogen, and explore possible solutions for the decarbonisation of the gas sector. Apart from addressing possible regulatory and market barriers to developing this, it will explain what "renewable gas", " green gas" etc. mean to a wider public. It will also address how to improve the Guarantees of Origin (GOs) system across the Union so that the consumer-driven part of the energy transition can push forward.
Speakers, panellists and moderator:
- Prof. Jean Michel Glachant, Director, Florence School of Regulation (FSR)
- Annegret Groebel, President, CEER
- Ilaria Conti, Head Gas Department, Florence School of Regulation (FSR)
- Susanna Pflüger, Secretary General, European Biogas Association (EBA)
- Phil Moody, Secretary General, Association of Issuing Bodies (AIB)
- Mirela Atanasiu, Head of Unit, Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking of the European Commission (FCU JU)
- Kostas Stamatis, Policy Officer, European Commission, DG Energy, Unit B 3 Retail markets, consumers and local initiatives
- Pedro Verdelho, Gas Working Group Chair, CEER
More information on the webinar can be found here.