Renewable electricity generation levels have increased dramatically in Europe over the last decade, particularly in the form of wind and solar power, such that renewables are now a central part of Europe’s electricity mix. In many Member States this has been driven by Government policy as part of the agenda to address climate change. The increase in intermittent renewable generation poses major technical and regulatory challenges to Europe’s energy regulators in overseeing both energy networks and markets in consumers’ interests. This CEER course addresses these emerging regulatory issues.
Experts from National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) who want to improve their knowledge and exchange experiences on renewables and their impacts on the electricity market design.
- Review the EU policy drivers with respect to renewables and the emerging lessons from the new Energy and Environment State Aid Guidelines
- Examine methods of designing and implementing renewable generation subsidy schemes such that they are efficient and properly integrated into Europe’s wholesale electricity markets
- Assess the impacts of renewables on wholesale energy markets and how renewable generation is driving a re-think in energy market design
- Discuss the variability challenge and how to design intra-day and real-time markets, incorporating demand flexibility
- Explore national case studies of designing network and market changes to facilitate increased levels of renewable generation
- Participate in exciting discussions and group work on the integration of distributed renewables and the challenges for DSOs, self-consumption, net-metering and design of retail tariffs
Course Directors: Ms Yvonne Finger, BNetzA and Mr Alain Marien, CREG.
Course Advisors: Prof. Tomás Gómez, Universidad Pontificia Comillas and Prof. Monica Giulietti, University of Loughborough
Two scholarships of 50% fee reduction are offered to participants from CEER members and observers. Please check the conditions about scholarships in the tab "Course Fee".
- CEER non-members: €1,200
Course fee includes lunches, coffee breaks during the course and one drink reception, not including travel and accommodation costs.
This course is only open to participants from National Regulatory Authorities. Priority is given to CEER members.
- Should you be unable to attend, a substitute delegate is welcome at no extra charge.
- No course fee will be applied if written cancellation requests are received at least 3 working days before the first day of the course. Full course fees will be applied for cancellation requests received after this deadline.
CEER offers two scholarships of 50% fee reduction to two participants from CEER members and observers for attending this course. The scholarships are offered based on the principle of helping those facing budget constraints to reduce the costs of sending their staff to CEER training courses.
The eligible NRAs for CEER Training Scholarships are those from countries whose GDP per capita falls below the 90% threshold of the EU-28's GDP per capita (according to the Eurostat official data: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/tgm/table.do?tab=table&init=1&plugin=1&pcode=tec00114&language=en).
Participants from the qualified NRAs are invited to apply for the two CEER Training Scholarships for this course by indicating this in the online registration form in the tab "Registration". When the registration is closed, the two selected participants will be notified whether they get the scholarships. If more than two individuals apply for the scholarships, only two participants from the qualifed NRAs with the lowest percentage from the Eurostat figures are chosen. An eligible NRA can benefit from maximum 2 scholarships per year.
CEER has blocked a number of hotel rooms with special corporate rate with Best Western Premier Park Hotel Brussels .
Rates (incl. VAT + breakfast, excl. city tax): €145.
21 Avenue de I'Yser, 1040 Brussels
tel +32 2 735 74 00
If you would like to benefit from this offer, please fill in the reservation form below before 10 November 2016 and send it directly to Best Western Premier Park Hotel: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CEER is not responsible for making the reservation on your behalf.
Cours Saint-Michel 30a, box F (5th floor)
B - 1040 Brussels, Belgium
For details on how to reach CEER, please click here .
For other questions on the course, please contact us: email@example.com or by phone +32 2 788 73 49.