The Council of European Energy Regulators (CEER), in collaboration with the European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET), is organising a unique online course on “European Wholesale Electricity and Gas Market Trading” on 25-26 November 2021. This year's edition will again cover both electricity and gas trading, and will offer special trading simulation sessions.
The course seeks to enhance the understanding of NRA staff about how energy trading is conducted and their knowledge of how traders handle their risks and opportunities by means of periodic transactions in the electricity and gas markets. One of the potential benefits of attending this course is that it may help NRA staff to better carry out their monitoring and surveillance of wholesale energy markets at national, regional and European level. Trainers will explain key aspects of trading in the wholesale electricity and gas markets based on their own operational, commercial and professional experience (rather than from an academic point of view). The trainers of this course include senior and high-level experts from EFET and their member companies as well as an experienced trainer in trading simulations.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is ideally suited for staff of National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs), but representatives from other organisations are also welcome to join.
NRA experts who register for this course will be granted free access to the EFET online Energy Markets Training Programme.
Level A: Overview Course
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Recap the history of the liberalisation of the European energy sector.
- Explore trading in different timeframes in the wholesale electricity market and price formation.
- Discuss trading the green attributes of renewable and low carbon gases in the context of sector coupling.
- Explore trading in the wholesale gas market, including short term trading and challenges of developing a hydrogen market.
- Understand the overall management of various types of risk in an energy trading business and the EU market supervision regulatory regime.
- Participate in interactive simulation sessions to acquire deeper insight and knowledge of trading in electricity and gas, trading strategies, trading technicalities, order book, the impact of market liquidity and volatility on the behaviour of traders.
Online Class 1 on Thursday, 25 November 2021 - 10:30-16:00 (CET)
Online Class 2 on Friday, 26 November 2021 - 10:00-16:00 (CET)
- A series of online classes which give the participants the opportunity to participate in interesting presentations, discussions and exchanges with the trainers and other participants.
- Access to interesting literature review and reading materials on the topics addressed in the course.
- Interesting exercises and course work that participants need to prepare in advance to contribute to the online debates during the online classes.
The trainers of this course include senior and high-level experts from EFET and their member companies as well as an experienced trainer in trading simulations.
- Mark Copley, EFET CEO
- Jérôme Le Page, Member of EFET Board, Chair of EFET Electricity Committee
- Hélène Robaye, Head of Regulation and Market Design at ENGIE Global Energy Management
- Mariló García Rodríguez, Deputy Director European Union Regulation, Endesa
- Sebastian Stadler, Head of Gas Trading & Optimisation, Danske Commodities
- Doug Wood, Member of EFET Board, Chair of EFET Gas Committee
- Lukas Gubler, Head of Risk and Mid Office, Axpo
- Anya Bissessur, Senior Advisor Regulatory Affairs and Compliance, Statkraft Energi AS
- Jerry de Leeuw, Entrima
Course Director: Mike Bostan, EFET Coordinator Training and Education Programmes, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board