The Council of European Energy Regulators (CEER) in collaboration with the European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET) is delighted to organise a unique online course on “European Wholesale Electricity and Gas Market Trading” on 23-24 November 2020. This year's edition will include both electricity and gas trading and especially trading simulation sessions. This course is ideally suited for staff of National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs), but representatives from other organisations are welcome to join.
The course seeks to enhance the understanding of NRA staff about how energy trading is conducted and their knowledge of how traders handle their risks and opportunities by means of periodic transactions in the electricity and gas markets. One of the potential benefits of attending this course is that it may help NRA staff to better carry out their monitoring and surveillance of wholesale energy markets at national, regional and European level. Trainers will explain key aspects of trading in the wholesale electricity and gas markets based on their own operational, commercial and professional experience (rather than from an academic point of view). The trainers of this course include senior and high-level experts from EFET and their member companies as well as an experienced trainer in trading simulations.
Level A: Overview Course
Experts from National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs). Representatives from other organisations are welcome to attend. NRA experts who register for this course will be granted free access to the EFET online Energy Markets Training Programme.
- A series of online classes which give the participants the opportunities to participate in interesting presentations, discussions and exchanges with the trainers and other participants via video conference methods.
- Access to interesting literature review and reading materials on the topics addressed in the course.
- Access to the EFET online Energy Markets Training Programme for NRA experts.
Online Class 1 on 23 November 2020 - 10:30 - 16:00 (CET).
Online Class 2 on 24 November 2020 - 10:00 - 16:00 (CET).
- Review the brief history of the liberalisation of the European energy sector.
- Discuss trading in different timeframes in the wholesale electricity market, price formation and management of a portfolio of power assets and contracts.
- Discuss trading in the wholesale gas market, including short term trading and trading the green attributes of renewable and low carbon gases.
- Examine impacts of the coronavirus measures on trading in the wholesale electricity and gas markets.
- Explore the overall management of various types of risk in an energy trading business and trading under the EU ETS.
- Participate in interactive and interesting simulation sessions to acquire deeper insight and knowledge of trading in electricity and gas, trading strategies, trading technicalities, order book, the impact of market liquidity and volatility on the behaviour of traders.