The European gas markets have experienced some emerging issues that challenge the gas market fundamentals. There has been an increasing need for flexible response, including from gas-fired power stations, to complement the growing volume of intermittent renewable-based electricity generation. The flexibility and the liquidity of the gas markets across Europe need to increase. Energy regulators have to deal with these continuing and emerging challenges in the European gas markets.
In addition, with all the Network Codes in Gas now adopted, the next phases of implementation, monitoring and modification will come to the fore. Energy regulators have to deal with the challenges related to the implementation of Network Codes in Gas in order to meet the European expectation for a quick and efficient harmonisation of the European Gas Markets.
Level B: Specialised Course
Experts from National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) with previous experience in gas market regulation who would like to update their knowledge and expertise in order to deal with the continuing and emerging challenges in the European gas markets. Other experts from European Institutions (ACER, European Commission) are also invited to attend.
- Review the key developments in the European wholesale gas markets and the important roles of regulators in delivering the progress
- Discuss the challenges related to the implementation of Network Codes in Gas, covering Balancing, Harmonised Tariff Structures, Congestion Management Procedures and Capacity Allocation Mechanism Network Codes
- Discover the best practices, lessons learned as well as opportunities and challenges of the ongoing and new European gas market integration initiatives
- Participate in interesting discussion on how to deal with emerging issues in a dynamic gas market through presentation of good regulatory practices and approaches
Course Director: Mr Tom Maes, CREG, CEER Gas Working Group Vice Chair
Course Advisors: - Ms Margot Loudon, Eurogas Deputy Secretary General, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board
- Mr Michael Thomadakis, Director for Energy Sector, Grant Thornton Greece, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board