The energy regulatory processes have been and will continue to evolve with the "Clean Energy for All Europeans" Package, also known as “Clean Energy Package”. One of the aims of the new legislative package is to set the governance rules for the Energy Union. With the conclusion of the negotiation processes between the different European Institutions on the Clean Energy Package at the end of December 2018, National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) should be properly prepared for the implementation of the new legislative package in the coming years. What is the new legal landscape of the Clean Energy Package and what are the new regulatory challenges for NRAs?
This CEER Specialised Legal Training will provide an overview of the new legal and regulatory challenges for NRAs, with a focus on the Clean Energy Package. The implementation challenges regarding the European decision-making processes at the European and national level, new roles for DSOs and DSO-TSO cooperation, electricity market design, regulatory oversight of Nominated Electricity Market Operators (NEMOs) will be presented and discussed with practical case studies from NRAs as well as from market participants. This training also addresses the new emerging issues regarding electricity and gas interconnectors and their respective applicable regimes. The training finally focuses on the judicial review process of ACER's decisions, with the practical example from the latest appeal case of the ACER's decision at national level.
Level B: Specialised Course
Legal experts from NRAs with legal background and previous experience in energy regulatory framework (at least 2-3 years experience). Other non-legal experts with previous experience in this topic from NRAs and European Institutions (ACER, European Commission) are also invited to attend.
- Discuss the new legal landscape of the Clean Energy Package and some selected topics that are important for National Regulatory Authorities such as electricity market design, governance issues and new roles for DSOs and DSO-TSO cooperation
- Explore how ACER and NRAs deal with the regulatory challenges at the national, regional and European levels, especially regarding the decision-making mechanisms
- Examine the legal challenges for the Transmission System Operators (TSOs) and Nominated Electricity Market Operators (NEMOs) in the implementation of Network Codes/Guidelines
- Discuss the new emerging issues regarding electricity and gas interconnectors and their respective applicable regimes
- Explore the judicial review process of the ACER's decisions and examine the latest appeal case of the ACER's decision at national level
Course Director: Ms Nadia Horstmann, BNetzA, Vice Chair CEER Legal Affairs Committee.
Course Advisor: Mr Michael Thomadakis, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board, Member of ACER Board of Appeal