The "Clean Energy for All Europeans" Package (CEP) which was adopted in July 2019 aims to introduce an improved electricity market design in Europe. Since 1 January 2020, all provisions of the new Electricity Regulation (EU) 2019/943 have started to be applicable to the electricity markets and the provisions of the new Electricity Directive (EU) 2019/944 are on their way to be transposed into the national laws at the latest by 31 December 2020. Despite the early preparations, National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) still face numerous challenges in implementing the new legislative package. Some open issues still have to be solved and common understandings and approaches still have to be developed.
Level B: Specialised Course
This tailor-made CEER online training programme is designed for experts from NRAs with a general background or previous experience in the electricity markets who would like to improve or update their knowledge and expertise in order to succeed with the implementation phase of the Clean Energy Package and the related electricity market design challenges. Other experts from European Institutions (ACER, European Commission) are also invited to attend.
- A series of online classes which give the participants the opportunities to participate in interesting presentations, discussions and exchanges with the trainers and other participants via video conference methods.
- Access to interesting literature review and reading materials on the topics addressed in the course.
- Interesting exercises and course work that participants need to prepare in advance to contribute to the online debates during the online classes.
Online Class 1 on 21 September 2020 - 14:00 - 17:00 (CEST).
Online Class 2 on 22 September 2020 - 14:00 - 17:00 (CEST).
Online Class 3 on 23 September 2020 - 14:00 - 17:00 (CEST).
- Explore the general principles and challenges of the electricity market design in Europe.
- Examine the main changes in electricity market design introduced by the Clean Energy Package, covering network access and congestion management, capacity allocation, bidding zone assessment, resource adequacy, capacity mechanisms, and regional security coordination.
- Discuss experiences and challenges in the implementation of these focal topics of electricity market design in the Clean Energy Package.
- Participate in the lively discussions on the processes, obstacles, best practices, case studies, and lessons learned from the implementation phase and future challenges.
The online classes will count on an exclusive and balanced combination of trainers - whose daily activities focus on the electricity market design and the Clean Energy Package - in order to train participants at best. Interesting discussions with colleagues from ENTSO-E and CORESO, a historical Regional Security Coordinator in Brussels, will complement the programme.
Course Director: Mr. Alain Marien, CREG, Future Policy Work Stream Co-Chair
Course Advisor: Prof. Tomás Gómez, Universidad Pontificia Comillas, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board