National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) have the duties to exercise monitoring activities of the wholesale and retail electricity and gas markets. These duties include monitoring the level of transparency of wholesale and retail prices, the level and effectiveness of market opening and competition at wholesale and retail levels to the benefits of all energy consumers.
NRA staff need expertise to carry out these monitoring activities at national level. As part of this, it is useful for NRA staff to understand the aims and features, methodologies and approaches in wholesale and retail market monitoring from other countries and exchange best practices and experiences with colleagues from other NRAs.
Experts from NRAs with previous experience in wholesale and retail market monitoring in electricity and gas (1-2 years experience). Other experts from European Institutions (ACER, European Commission) are also invited to attend.
• Review the retail market design in Europe, its legal framework and how it is applied at the national frameworks
• Examine the fundamentals and best practice of retail market monitoring, including national practical experiences from different countries
• Explore the link between wholesale and retail market monitoring, aims and features, theoretical background, challenges, potential problems and solutions of monitoring electricity and gas wholesale markets
• Discover different scientific approaches and cases studies of wholesale market monitoring from different countries which cover aims and features, indicators, methodologies and NRA decision-making process
• Participate in discussion and group work to apply learning from these issues
With lecturers from NRAs, European Commission, ACER and academia, this course provides participants with a unique opportunity to exchange knowledge with experts in market monitoring.
Course Directors: - Mr Deniz Erdem, BNetzA, Co-Chair CEER Monitoring Retail Markets Work Stream
- Mr Mats Nilsson, Ei
Course Advisor: Prof. Monica Giulietti, University of Loughborough
- "The training met my expectations. The length was good enough and the presenters shared good insights into their monitoring activities".
- "I am very satisfied. Everything was great and I learned a lot".