National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) have the duties to exercise monitoring activities of the wholesale and retail electricity and gas markets. These duties include monitoring the level of transparency of wholesale and retail prices, the level and effectiveness of market opening and competition at wholesale and retail levels to the benefits of all energy consumers.
NRA staff need expertise to carry out these monitoring activities at national level. While it is useful for NRA staff to understand the aims and features, methodologies and approaches in wholesale and retail market monitoring from other countries, they also need to be updated on the new retail and wholesale market design in Europe with the implementation of the Clean Energy Package and the new challenges for regulators in the implementation of the package.
Experts from NRAs with previous experience in wholesale and retail market monitoring in electricity and gas (1-2 years experience). Other experts from European Institutions (ACER, European Commission) are also invited to attend. NRA experts who register for this course will be granted free access to the online Energy Markets Training Programme of the European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET).
• Review the retail market design in Europe, its new legal framework with the Clean Energy Package and the new challenges for regulators
• Exchange best practice of retail market monitoring, including national experiences from different countries covering practical approaches in data collection and analysis, indicators and metrics used for the national reports and ACER-CEER Market Monitoring Reports
• Apply the practical tools to self-assess the retail markets and identify the gaps in order to achieve the goals using the CEER's roadmap to 2025 Well-Functioning Retail Energy Markets
• Explore the new tasks, challenges, potential problems and solutions of monitoring electricity and gas wholesale markets with the implementation of the Clean Energy Package in the context of market coupling and increasing competition and discover cases studies of wholesale market monitoring from different countries
• Participate in interesting discussions and group work to apply learning from these issues
With trainers from NRAs, European Commission, ACER and Eurostat, this course provides participants with a unique opportunity to exchange knowledge with experts in market monitoring.
Course Director: Mr Deniz Erdem, BNetzA, Co-Chair CEER Monitoring Retail Markets Work Stream
Course Advisor: Prof. Monica Giulietti, University of Loughborough, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board
- "The training met my expectations. The length was good enough and the presenters shared good insights into their monitoring activities".
- "I am very satisfied. Everything was great and I learned a lot".